Woodthorpe is predominantly a single storey 1967 primary school with nursery and other more modern brick built extensions to the rear and side. York City Council required a principal contractor to carry out a design and build contract to rewire part of the old 1967 school.
The works consisted of a part rewire to classrooms, offices, communal areas and sports hall. New suspended ceilings and recessed lighting were installed to the majority of the areas along with manufactured boxings and soffits. To enable the works; texture coated ceilings and areas of asbestos needed had to be removed and disposed of in a safe manner.
The project was highly time sensitive; commencing at the beginning of the summer holidays. All works had to be completed and the site cleared within 6 weeks ready for the return of the children for the new year.
Playing Our Part
EMCE was employed to act as Main Contractor to the project, taking possession of the site and sectioning off from the rest of the school. Subcontractors were engaged and programmed through our offices to ensure an effective and smooth running of the contract. The services included:
- Management of the site and subcontractors.
- Ensuring Health and Safety was adhered to at all times.
- Clearing of furniture and protection of walls, floors etc.
- Isolations and strip out of existing electrical installations, ceilings and asbestos.
- Forming of new door ways and re-plastering of Girls and Boys WC areas.
- Rewiring of lighting and small power circuits (including new distribution boards).
- New automatic lighting control and recessed luminaires.
- New surface dado trunkings and OHP facilities.
- Alterations and extensions to the fire alarm system.
- Fire stopping to ceiling voids.
- Re-painting after works complete.
The works were completed on time and within budget!